The health and safety of students, student-guests, and staff are paramount. To mitigate the risk of COVID-19 transmission, high schools will be expected to implement the following:
1) High school proms must occur outside, on the football field, parking lot, or at a similar location on school grounds. Proms may not occur indoors. Schools may utilize the restroom facilities during prom. However, access to and from indoor bathrooms is to be monitored to ensure social distancing is maintained to the maximum extent possible.
2) Only students, student-guests, and staff directly involved may attend.
3) Students, student-guests, and staff members must wear masks except when actively eating or drinking.
4) Social distancing practices (i.e., staying six feet apart from other couples) should be observed at all times to the maximum extent possible.
5) Couples will not be required to maintain social distancing between themselves but should function as a single unit throughout the event (to take pictures, dance, socialize, etc.). Couples must practice social distancing when interacting with other couples and school staff to the greatest extent possible. At no time can cohorts of couples change or switch during the event.
6) Dancing may take place. However, each student may dance only with their date, ensuring their cohort is maintained
7) All students, student-guests, and staff should check themselves for COVID symptoms prior to going to the event. No one with symptoms should attend.
COVID-19 screening questions include the following:
- Do I have … ?
- Shortness of Breath (Not Severe)
- Repeated Shaking with Chills
- Muscle Pain
- Sore Throat
- New Loss of Taste or Smell
- Am I ill or caring for someone who is ill?
- Have I come in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Do I live, or have I visited, a place where COVID-19 exposure is prevalent?
- Am I awaiting the results of a COVID test?
9) Grab-and-go food and drink items may be purchased and served. Schools must designate specific areas where couples can eat at proper social distances.
10) Ample hand sanitizer stations must be placed throughout the area.
11) Schools must maintain a ratio of one school employee for every 35 student-guest participants. This ratio is to ensure all health and safety guidelines are followed.